JavaOne 2014 Recap
Wednesday, October 29th, 2014
6:30 - 8:30 PM
James Velasco, Bernd Ruehlicke, and Jim Bethancourt
There were lots of big announcements, fancy demos, and technical sessions at JavaOne this year -- come and hear about the best of them! While the big focus was on lambdas, plenty more was going on that you'll want to learn about as well. If we're lucky, a member of the JCP Executive Committee will also be able to attend and give us a better idea of what's going on in the JCP.
James Velasco is the Chief Computer Scientist at INT and has been a past speaker at HJUG and JavaONE, and is a current member of the JCP.
Bernd Ruehlicke is president of Eriksfiord, Inc. part of the Eriksfiord group, a geoscience provider with focus on image/sonic log based geological and geomechanical studies. Bernd contributed to most of the geological applications modules of Recall (Landmark) during his time at Z&S (Stavanger/Norway): Speed correction, interactive spherical statistics, geomechanical interpretation. At PGS and Landmark, he built the interface between the Petrobank (Oracle) database and Recall, and worked on R&D projects such as the Java DecisionSpace platform. Bernd is now developing the business of the Eriksfiord group in the Americas, responsible for all image and sonic quality control and processing in the group and building specialized software to support Eriksford's geology and geomechanics interpretation staff. Bernd holds a BS in Computer Science and MS in Mathematics from Aarhus University, Denmark. He has an MBA from the University of Houston-Victoria, USA
Jim Bethancourt is a Sr. Software Developer at Triple Point Technology, and has led the Houston Java Users Group since 2007. He has given talks at the Houston JUG and at JavaOne.
RSVP by going to http://hjug10292014.eventbrite.com We will need an accurate head count in order to know how much pizza to order. Since there may be a large turnout, please only RSVP if you're certain you'll be coming.
Meeting Location: PROS
Houston, TX 77002
Park across the street in the parking garage on Elgin on the 7th floor, taking a parking receipt as you enter the parking garage. Parking is free after 7:00 PM, so you won't have to pay as you exit. Take the elevator to the 3rd floor of the parking garage and walk across the sky bridge. The HJUG meeting will be on the 2nd floor on the left just before you reach the elevator bank.
Meeting Sponsor: Clearpoint
- We are a 15 year old company located in the Museum District of Houston
- We provide the following services for Technology, Marketing and Professional skill sets such as Accounting/HR; Engineering & Clerical
- On the Technology side in specific, our company works with the full-life cycle of IT positions including all types of Technical Applications/ Infrastructure/ Functional PM/BA centric roles.
- Our company is based on long term market relationships
- We have a large virtual skilled staff
About our venue sponsor: PROSWe aren't your run-of-the-mill software company. We're true to our word. When we say your success is our number one priority, we mean it. We'll work side-by-side with you to deliver on every promise every time. At PROS, we don't just see ourselves building software. We see ourselves as building blocks in our customers' success stories.
Our Core Values:
- Ownership - We take responsibility.
- Passion - We love what we do.
- Pride - We accept only the best.
- Trust - We can be counted on.
- Integrity - We do what's right.
- Innovation - We create possibilities.
- Customer Centricity - We put our customers first.
Door Prizes and Giveaways! - must RSVP on Eventbrite to win
- JetBrains has donated one IntelliJ license to be raffled off at this month's HJUG meeting if we have 30 attendees, two if we have 50 or more
- Hello2Morrow has donated a SonarGraph Personal license to be raffled off at this month's HJUG meeting
- Headway Software has donated a license of the new Structure101 Studio
- CoderGears has donated licenses of their product JArchitect
- SemanticMerge has donated a one year license of their product to one lucky winner, and another to the speaker.
Meeting sponsored by Structure101 for Tangle free software.